BASSET (Beverage Alcohol Sellers and Servers Education and Training) is the State of Illinois’ responsible beverage seller server program. Under the licensing and regulatory laws of the Illinois Liquor Control Commission (ILLC), BASSET is designed to encourage profitable, responsible, and legal alcohol sales and service.
Illinois BASSET Training State Mandates
The July 2015 signing of Illinois Public Act 99-0046 (PDF) requires alcohol servers (and those checking ID’s for alcohol service) in Illinois on-premise establishments to successfully complete a Beverage Alcohol Sellers and Server Education and Training (BASSET) class and to complete a re-certification BASSET course every 3 years. The mandates took effect by a pre-determined date based upon county population.
- BASSET responsible alcohol seller-server training ensures that sellers and servers of alcohol understand the Illinois liquor laws and serve alcoholic beverages responsibly.
- Illinois BASSET Seller-Server Training - $13.99
- 10% OFF: Enter Promo Code "TRAIN10OFF" at Checkout
- On July 1, 2015, the state law took effect requiring BASSET training for all alcohol servers in Cook County.
- On July 1, 2016, the state law took effect requiring BASSET training for all alcohol servers in the next series of counties with 200,000+ people.
- On July 1, 2017, the state law took effect requiring BASSET training for all alcohol servers in the next series of counties between 30,000-200,000 people.
- By July 1, 2018, ALL Illinois on-premise alcohol seller-servers (and those required to check identification for alcohol service) are mandated to take a BASSET training course and must complete a re-certification BASSET course every 3 years.
Who should be BASSET Certified?
- Most alcohol sellers and servers in Illinois are required to be BASSET certified.
- Employees in establishments that sell and serve alcohol in bars, restaurants, hotels, taverns, night clubs, concessions, and banquet halls: bartenders, bar backs, servers, managers, security personnel and bouncers.
- Employees in establishments that sell alcohol in liquor stores, grocery stores, convenience stores and gas stations: sales associates, clerks, supervisors and managers.
Why should you take BASSET?