Louisiana Alcohol Seller-Server Training & Certification
Louisiana alcohol seller-server safety training ensures that sellers and servers of alcohol understand state and local liquor laws and serve alcoholic beverages responsibly. An alcohol seller-server training program can also significantly reduce the risk and liability associated with alcohol service.
This responsible vendor training is specifically approved for Louisiana. Get your LA Bar Card by completing the training and passing the exam.
Why is Alcohol Seller-Server safety training necessary?
- Alcohol safety seller-server training or certification may be required for employment to sell or serve alcohol in a state or for a business.
- Alcohol responsible beverage service (RBS) training is necessary for position as a bartender since most employers require proper knoweldge and skills of alcohol service prior to employment.
- Establishments that sell and serve alcohol and may require alcohol service training: bars, restaurants, hotels, taverns, night clubs, banquet halls, liquor stores, grocery stores, convenience stores and gas stations.
The goals and objectives of the Alcohol Seller-Server safety training program are:
- Train and educate sellers and servers to engage in responsible alcohol service;
- Spot signs of intoxication and utilize various intervention techniques;
- Prevent DUIs and alcohol-related fatalities;
- Stop underage sales and underage drinking;
- Create safer communities and establishments where alcohol is served;
- Educate owners, managers and staff on liability, state laws, and local ordinances regarding alcohol service.
Louisiana Responsible Vendor Server Requirements
According to Louisiana law “any employee of a vendor who is authorized to sell or serve alcoholic beverages or tobacco products in the normal course of his or her employment or deals with customers who purchase or consume alcoholic beverages or tobacco products” must attend an RV Class and obtain an RV Server Permit within 45 days of their hire date.
Source: Louisiana Office of Alcohol and Tobacco Control - Responsible Vendor Program
Approved Louisiana Responsible Vendor Online Course Provider - 360training (Learn2Serve)
What is a Louisiana Bar Card? How Do You Get It?
Before you can serve or sell alcohol in the state of Louisiana, all employees and vendors are required to complete the Responsible Vendor class and acquire the RV Server Permit, also known as LA Bar Card.
How Do You Get Louisiana Bar Card?
The Louisiana Responsible Vendor Training course is available online, anytime and includes the RV Server Permit exam that you need to pass so you can acquire your LA ATC-approved Bar Card. How to obtain a Louisiana Bar Card:
1. Enroll in a LA-ATC approve online Responsible Vendor Training Course
2. Complete the online course
3. Pass the RV Server Permit Exam
4. Acquire LA-ATC approved Bar Card
Louisiana Responsible Vendor Alcohol Seller-Server Training Info
- Alcohol Seller-Server Training
- State Contact Info
- State Regulations
Louisiana Responsible Vendor Alcohol Seller-Server Training Course
The alcohol seller-server training course provides the student with the necessary knowledge of laws regarding alcohol service and proven techniques needed to be a responsible seller of alcohol and for providing a safe environment for customers. Specifically, you will learn:
- how to protect yourself and your establishment from liability;
- how alcohol affects your customers;
- how to recognize the effects of alcohol on your customers;
- how to prevent customers from becoming intoxicated;
- how to intervene when you need to refuse a sale to someone;
- how to prevent and deal with disturbances;
- how to accurately check IDs and recognize minors;
- how to prevent second-party sales; and
- how to refuse a sale.
Audience: Employees in establishments that sell and serve alcohol in bars, restaurants, hotels, taverns, night clubs, concessions, banquet halls: bartenders, bar backs, servers and managers.
Credit Hours: 3 hrs
- Lesson 1: Introduction
- Lesson 2: How Alcohol Affects the Body
- Lesson 3: Recognizing Intoxicated Customers
- Lesson 4: Preventing Disturbances
- Lesson 5: Minors and Liability
- Lesson 6: Second-Party Sales
- Lesson 7: How to Refuse a Sale
- Lesson 8: State Laws
End of Course Test & Certificate
At the conclusion of the course, the learner will be tested on their knowledge of the learning objectives and content. Upon successfully passing the exam with a minimum of 70%, the learner will be able to download a course certificate.
Louisiana Alcohol Regulatory Agency
The Louisiana Office of Alcohol and Tobacco Control - Responsible Vendor Program (RVP) is responsible for the control over the importation, distribution, sale, and consumption of alcoholic beverages, which applies to all retailers, suppliers, and wholesalers who are licensed to manufacture, sell, serve, transport, or store liquor in the State of Louisiana.
Louisiana Office of Alcohol and Tobacco Control
Louisiana Responsible Vendor Program
8585 Archives Avenue, Suite 220
Baton Rouge, LA 70809
Phone: (225) 925-4041
Louisiana - Alcoholic Beverage Statutes, Rules and Regulations
Louisiana Responsible Vendor Program Statues and Regulations
Louisiana Revised Statutes - Title 26 - Chapter 8: Responsible Vendor Program (PDF)